What is the Learning Carpet?
The Learning Carpet is a tool that helps young learners actively create foundational math and literacy skills. This permanently gridded, 100 square floor mat develops critical math and literacy skills in all children Pre-K through Fifth Grade. The Learning Carpet promotes inquiry and collaboration. As students tackle challenges in the whole group, small groups, or individually, they deepen content understanding and build communication skills. Students gather around the six-foot square rug to explore and construct, test and retest, refine and extend individual understanding. If you want to increase student understanding and achievement, then you need The Learning Carpet.
The Learning Carpet
- Assists flexible thinking of finding multiple paths to a solution
- Boosts risk taking and ability to persevere while actively engaged in tasks
- Nurtures the use of precise language in explaining reasoning
- Encourages visualization/structuring skills to promote conceptual knowledge
- Inspires students to construct and share thinking and critique the work of others
- Scaffolds learning so each student is challenged and can access content to meet his or her learning needs
- Strengthens accurate and efficient counting skills
- Supports deeper understanding of word problems in all situations
- Promotes strong forward and backward sequencing skills
- Refines numeral identification understandings
- Creates understanding of place value structure and multi-digit operations
- Cultivates the meaning of equality and other big ideas in math
- Fosters the use of mental strategies to know basic facts from memory
- Develops recognition of patterns to make generalizations in math
- Helps to develop measurement skills
- Apply properties of operations to add, subtract, multiply and divide.
- Fosters meaningful connections as students actively represent and interpret data
- Forms foundational understanding of fractions
- Builds understanding of coordinate geometry and mapping skills
- Deepens geometric reasoning as students define, compose and partition 2-D shapes
- Increases awareness and application of spelling and decoding skills
- Builds upper-case and lower-case letter recognition
- Refines vowel and consonant knowledge
- Develops recognition of patterns to make generalizations in spelling
- Promotes strong letter-sound relationships
- Deepens understanding of base word and prefixes/suffixes
View some samples from our Resource Manual:
A free download of this booklet shows some of the concepts that can be taught using The Learning Carpet-TLC.